[Fedora-directory-devel] Attribute to determine allowed write attributes?

Pierangelo Masarati ando at sys-net.it
Thu Nov 2 15:07:07 UTC 2006

Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-11-01 at 07:05 -0700, Richard Megginson wrote:
>
>> Andrew Bartlett wrote:

>>> That has:

>>> I need information on unknown attributes, so that MMC can show them as
>>> valid, writable fields (not greyed out).  My preferred format is a list
>>> of writable fields, as permitted by the current schema for that entry.
>>>

>> This could be useful in any general purpose GUI app, to have the ability
>> to perform one query and get back a list of
>> 1) regular attributes available according to the schema
>> 2) operational attributes - writable vs. read-only
>> 3) virtual attributes - writable vs. read-only
>>
>> I would like to support the openldap "+" special attribute which
>> retrieves all operational attributes, and I would also like to support
>> the Sun DS real and virtual attrs controls.
>>
>> Andrew, I think it would be beneficial to me if you could post an
>> example ldapsearch and an example return entry in LDIF.
>>

> Using Samba's ldbsearch:
>
> bin/ldbsearch -H ldap://win2k3dc.win2k3.abartlet.net cn=administrator
> allowedAttributes allowedAttributesEffective allowedClasses
> AllowedClassesEffective -Uadministrator%penguin

What's the -U for?  My guess is -U<user>%<cred>, is it correct?
> allowedAttributesEffective: adminDisplayName

What identity does the "Effective" refer to?  That of the client
performing the request?  How would this deal with ACL that depend on the
value of the data?  How would this deal with ACLs that do not just
depend on the object and on the client's identity?

Moreover, I believe this type of operation should be itself protected by
ACLs, i.e. implementations should be able to restrict identities that
can get this info.  With an ACL model that accounts for attribute values
(like any serious implementation should provide), the list itself could
be incomplete if access to specific values of allowedAttributes or
allowedAttributesEffective is itself restricted.

p.

Ing. Pierangelo Masarati
OpenLDAP Core Team

SysNet s.n.c.