[Fedora-directory-devel] Re: [Fedora-directory-users] Questions on Referal/Chaning features

Ankur Agarwal ankur_agwal at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 9 04:22:16 UTC 2006

Thanks Richard!

  Have a couple of follow-up questions :

  1) iPlanet to Fedora chaining should work fine as you have mentioned. Does chaining require both of them to have exactly same schemas or chaining doesnt require that?

  2) Client sends request to Fedora (with some authentication info) and then request gets dispatched to iPlanet/ActiveDirectory. How will this request be authenticated at iPlanet/ActiveDirectory. I believe authentication credentials will be different for all these LDAPs.

  regards,
  Ankur

Richard Megginson <rmeggins at redhat.com> wrote:
  Ankur Agarwal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have 2 existing directory services set-up with different schemas:
> 1) Active Directory
> 2) iPlanet LDAP
>
> Now we want to introduce a third one (Fedora LDAP) where we want to
> use referal/chaining features to send requests to these already
> existing servers. Would really appreciate your answers on:
>
> 1) Can we modify/update active directory data and iPlanet data with
> application interfacing only with new Fedora LDAP which will dispatch
> requests to these servers? Or can referal/chaining be used only for
> querying other LDAP servers?
A chaining database is read-write - it looks just like a local db to
clients.

> 2) Can Referal/Chaning be set-up across ActiveDirectory and Fedora
> with them having different schemas? Similarly between iPlanet and Fedora?
Not sure about AD. Some other people on the list have been trying to
get chaining and pass through auth to work with AD, but I haven't seen
any reports of success yet.

iPlanet to Fedora should work just fine.

> 3) If we want to migrate data from iPlanet to Fedora (having diff
> schema on Fedora) then any issues we must be aware of and any best
> practices?
Just make sure your customized schema is copied to Fedora. iPlanet and
Fedora DS are very compatible.