[Fedora-directory-devel] Read only config (was: FHS: use sysconfdir (/etc) as config file location)

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Sat Feb 10 00:23:48 UTC 2007

Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-02-09 at 12:40 -0600, Dennis Gilmore wrote:

I think there are two things which are required by Fedora DS to satisfy
the requirements.
1) Need to be able to specify, during configure, the default path for
instance specific writable config files.  This would allow you to do
something like:
./configure --with-instconfigdir=/var/lib/fedora-ds ....
If not specified, the default would be $(sysconfigdir)/$(PACKAGE_NAME).
When you specify this, you can use ds_newinst.pl to create a new
instance without having to specify
config_dir=/var/lib/fedora-ds/slapd-instance in your .inf file.  I think
this would solve the immediate problem.

However, the real problem here is that you may want to run your server
with a read-only config for security reasons. so
2) Need to be able to run the server with read-only config.  The first
time the server starts up, it would need to have a writable config dir,
but after that, it should be able to run with a read-only config.  This
would involve several changes to the server, and would necessitate
adding another server directory to store state information (or just use
the dbdir for this).  I think the uuid gen and csn gen (and now the dna
plugin) need to store state information which is now stored in
dse.ldif.  We would have to move this information to some other location.