[Fedora-directory-devel] 'make check' or 'make test' for fedora DS?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Feb 23 06:49:35 UTC 2007

Would it be possible to have some kind of self-test infrastructure in
Fedora DS?

I've grabbed current CVS, and am having some troubles running it.  But I
can't tell if it's just the way I'm running it, or if the current codes
doesn't currently work on my machine.

What I would really like is for 'make check' to be more than a stub.  As
fedora DS already depends on LDAP client bits, would it be too hard to
use the new ldapi:// work to setup fedora DS in a private environment,
and check a few things over (searches, binds, etc)?

This would also nicely solve some of the 'how do I' problems I have with
the ldapi:// patch (that is, it seems to still want an external port to
bind to, and I need to specify some details for the socket that
ds_newinst.pl doesn't know about).

We have had very good results with our 'make test' in Samba4, and
likewise I've seen Heimdal grow with it's testsuite (to the extent, that
Love's work has become almost entirely test driven development).

Naturally, it would also make it easier for external contributors to
validate their changes.

Thanks,

Andrew Bartlett