[Fedora-directory-devel] Starting Fedora DS without shell scripts?

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Fri Mar 2 15:34:06 UTC 2007

Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-03-01 at 21:52 -0800, Steve Parkinson wrote:
>
>> In all currently released versions, libraries were installed into an
>> application-specific directory (e.g. /opt/fedora-ds). It's only recently
>> that the libraries are put into /usr/lib.
>>

> I'm compiling into /scratch/fedora-ds/prefix, so this isn't what is
> happening.  I don't think libslapd belongs in /usr/lib in any case...

Where should libslapd.so go?  The reason it works is because libtool
links ns-slapd against libslapd.so using rpath.  I'm not sure why, and
the Fedora folks generally frown upon the use of rpath.  So if someone
makes us take out the rpath, we'll either
1) have to move libslapd.so to one of the system lib paths
2) continue to use a script that sets LD_LIBRARY_PATH
3) use ldconfig to add $_libdir/fedora-ds to the default ld.so path

The other nice thing about having a script is that it gives us the
ability to insulate ourselves from incompatible changes on the operating
system.  Let's say that for some reason the system is upgraded to a
version of libdb4 that we know has problems with DS, but must be used
for other applications on the system.  If we use the shell script, this
gives us the ability to drop in our own private version of libdb into
$libdir/fedora-ds without either interfering with the system directory
or adding $libdir/fedora-ds to the ld.so default path, both of which
could interfere with the other applications on the system that cannot
use our private libdb.

>> So, I guess the scripts are a relic which made it so you didn't have to
>> add those directories to LD_LIBRARY_PATH yourself.
>>

> I agree it's a relic, I'm just asking that they be removed, at least on
> Linux.

We still need the scripts on RHEL4, Solaris, and HPUX, unless we do some
tricks with rpath.