[Fedora-directory-devel] Re: RPATH status

David Boreham david_list at boreham.org
Sun Mar 11 02:06:18 UTC 2007

Some more info on this:

FDS was designed to install at an arbitrary subdirectory in the filesystem.
rpath only supports absolute paths and paths relative to the current working
directory, not the location of the binary (some platforms have some support
for rpath relative to the main binary location but at the time this was last
looked at seriously, that support was spotty and incomplete).
And so we have wrappers. They allow a user to add one directory
to their path and run any FDS command without regard to setting
LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

To remove the wrappers you'd need to give up something :
install at a fixed location (and use absolute rpaths); don't give
users the convenience of running commands without setting
LD_LIBRARY_PATH themselves; only run on platforms
that have support for relative-to-binary rpath.