[Fedora-directory-devel] Why is there a Makefile in CVS?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Mar 11 23:59:19 UTC 2007

Why is there a Makefile (not Makefile.in) in CVS?

Isn't the first thing we want to do (on a checkout) a ./configure, which
will replace this file anyway?

Likewise, I'm confused:  why do we allow prefix and exec_prefix to be
specified at 'make' (rather than configure) time?  This is typically at
configure time in other open source projects.  Changing this would seem
to remove some additional complexity from the build system...

Andrew Bartlett