[Fedora-directory-devel] libatomic.o missing; Solaris 8 Build

Jason daelic at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 18:46:45 UTC 2007

Hello,

I originally posted this on the users list, but was kindly directed to
post here for hopefully better results. I'll paste the original mail
below, but as an addendum, it's been pointed out that gmake is
attempting to use gcc, rather than the sunworkshop compiler. I've no
clue why, or even if that's part of why I'm getting this problem, but
I figured I would get that out of the way up front. :)

Here is my PATH:

mrfreeze:/root/ldap/mozilla/directory/c-sdk>echo $PATH
/opt/SUNWspro/bin:/usr/ccs/bin/:/usr/local/apache2/bin:/usr/ccs/bin/:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/dt/bin:/usr/proc/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/openwin/bin:/usr/ucb:/usr/platform/sun4u/sbin:/usr/lib:/root/scripts:/usr/ccs/bin/:/usr/local/apache2/ant/bin:/opt/OV/bin

As you can see, /opt/SUNWspro/bin is at the top of my path, so I've no
clue why it's trying to use gcc instead.

now, here is the original email sent to users that describes the
problem I'm seeing:

hello,

I'm trying to compile FDS 1.0.4 on a 280R running Solaris 8. After
getting all of the prerequisites installed (gnu make, apr, ant, sun
workshop compiler, etc) I started following the directions located
here:

http://www.directory.fedora.redhat.com/wiki/Building#External_Requirements

I created my ldap directory, and downloaded the mozilla components
tarball linked.
I successfully compiled NSS via 'gmake nss_build all'
I successfully compiled SVRCORE

Next, I attempted to compile LDAPSDK (mozilla/directory/c-sdk) but I
get a File not found error when it tries to link libatomic.o.

About the only thing I've been able to learn from a few hours of
google is that it appears that libatomic.o should come from NSPR,
which, in theory, was compiled during the gmake nss_build_all
according to the build documentation. Unfortunately, I cannot find
libatomic.o anywhere on the system.

Is there a way to get past this problem? Am I crazy for expecting this
to compile on solaris even though solaris support is listed? Is there
a better build guide I should be following?

I've copied the compile errors below, in case it helps anyone see
what's going on. Any help that can be provided is greatly appreciated!

~Jason

======= making ./libldap60.so
gcc -shared -Wl,-soname -Wl, libldap60.so -f libatomic.so    -o
libldap60.so ./abandon.o ./add.o ./bind.o ./cache.o ./charray.o
./charset.o ./compare.o ./compat.o ./control.o ./countvalues.o
./delete.o ./disptmpl.o ./dsparse.o ./error.o ./extendop.o ./free.o
./freevalues.o ./friendly.o ./getattr.o ./getdn.o ./getdxbyname.o
./getentry.o ./getfilter.o ./getoption.o ./getvalues.o ./memcache.o
./message.o ./modify.o ./open.o ./os- ip.o ./proxyauthctrl.o
./psearch.o ./pwmodext.o ./referral.o ./regex.o ./rename.o ./request.o
./reslist.o ./result.o ./saslbind.o ./sbind.o ./search.o ./setoption.o
./sort.o ./sortctrl.o ./srchpref.o ./tmplout.o ./ufn.o ./unbind.o
./unescape.o ./url.o ./utf8.o ./vlistctrl.o ./saslio.o
-L../../../../../dist/lib -llber60
gcc: libatomic.so: No such file or directory
gmake[3]: *** [libldap60.so] Error 1
gmake[3]: Leaving directory
`/root/ldap/mozilla/directory/c-sdk/ldap/libraries/libldap'
gmake[2]: *** [export] Error 2