[389-devel] Re: Please review: OpenLDAP support

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Tue Jul 7 18:38:24 UTC 2009

Howard Chu wrote:

>> Message: 1
>> Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 13:20:22 -0600
>> From: Rich Megginson<rmeggins at redhat.com>
>
>> Note - the patch does not contain the diffs for configure nor
>> Makefile.in
>> http://rmeggins.fedorapeople.org/0001-OpenLDAP-support.patch
>
> We probably should talk about exposing the UTF8 APIs. The only reason
> they were kept private is because they weren't part of the RFC1823 or
> the expired C API draft, but they've been present for at least the
> past 9 years.
Yeah, the utf8 API is in kind of a weird place.  Some stuff is provided
by the OS, like utf8 <-> charset conversion (iconv), some stuff is
provided by third party libraries we already use (ICU).  It's really odd
that an LDAP library should provide a utf8 API - it just seems as though
there should be a more widespread utf8 API library (ICU is very
heavyweight if that's all you're going to use it for -  a sledgehammer
for a thumbtack).  However, since utf8 is so integral to LDAP, having
LDAP expose a useful API would be a good thing.

> re: ldif_read_record() and the public LDIF API, note our ITS#5892;
> some of the function signatures here will change soon so that error
> can be distinguished from EOF. (But since 2.4's APIs are supposed to
> be frozen it may wait until 2.5.)
Ok.  We will have to track that and be prepared when the change occurs.
Thanks for the heads-up.