[Fedora-directory-devel] Please Review: Syntax validation design document

Nathan Kinder nkinder at redhat.com
Fri May 1 14:53:21 UTC 2009

Nathan Kinder wrote:
> Rich Megginson wrote:
>> Nathan Kinder wrote:
>>> I've been working on the design document for adding syntax
>>> validation support to Fedora DS.  Feedback would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Syntax_Validation_Design
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> -NGK
>> Looks good.  I think it would be better for nsslapd-syntaxcheck to
>> have different values - off, warn, error, on- or something like that
>> - rather than have another config parameter nsslapd-syntaxwarn
> Sure, I can merge those into a single config parameter.  I just made
> them separate since there is already a CONFIG_ON_OFF type that deals
> with things such as mapping "0/1" to "on/off".  Perhaps it would be
> good to add a new generic config type of CONFIG_ON_OFF_WARN that can
> take values of "0/1/2" or "on/off/warn".
Thinking about this some more, it may be best to have two separate
config settings.

The warning isn't really a warning, but instead a log message for the
administrator.  Sending a warning message to the client is going to be
of limited value as the client may not display the diagnosticMessage
text from the LDAPResult for a successful operation.  I found that the
message text was not displayed with ldapmodify (both mozldap and
openldap) for a successful modify operation that should trigger a
warning, even in verbose mode.  A true warning displayed to the client
would be nice, but I don't see a way of making it happen without client
side changes.

Having two separate config settings allows one to only log messages, to
log messages and disallow illegal values, and to just disallow illegal
values without filling up the logs.  I guess we could also just log the
syntax errors at a different log level instead of having a second config
setting.