[389-devel] Problem building 389-ds-base on openSUSE

Peter Nixon listuser at peternixon.net
Thu Nov 12 16:01:48 UTC 2009

Hi Guys

I have been attempting to build 389-ds-base 1.2.4 on openSUSE and have found
the configure script makes some assumptions about Berkley DB that are not
valid on SUSE.

The configure script fails with the following error:

configure: checking for db...
checking for --with-db... no
checking for db.h... using /usr/include/db.h
checking for db_create in -ldb-.... no
configure: error: /usr/include/db.h is version . but libdb-. not found

On openSUSE the db packages are the following:

# rpm -ql libdb-4_5
/usr/lib/libdb-4.5.so

# rpm -ql libdb-4_5-devel
/usr/include/db.h
/usr/include/db4
/usr/include/db4/db.h
/usr/include/db4/db_185.h
/usr/include/db_185.h
/usr/lib/libdb-4.5.a
/usr/lib/libdb-4.so
/usr/lib/libdb.a
/usr/lib/libdb.so

# cat /usr/include/db.h
#include <db4/db.h>

# cat /etc/SuSE-release
openSUSE 11.2 (i586)
VERSION = 11.2

The attached patch solves this problem for me, but is almost certain to break
things on Fedora. Hopefully someone with better m4 foo than I can fix it
up...

Regards

--

Peter Nixon