[389-devel] Please Review: Remove instance initconfig script when removing an instance

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Thu Oct 29 22:31:26 UTC 2009

Hmm... leaving an init script around after package removal is a bug I
recently reported against dogtag (Certificate Management System).

Init scripts should be an actual file belonging to the rpm listed in the
%files section of the rpm spec file. In dogtag the init script was being
dynamically generated when the rpm was installed. That's not good for
two reasons, one is the init script should be available for review and
inspection, secondly it's a critical file which is not known to rpm nor
is it possible for rpm to accord it config status with special config
handing.

I have not looked at the 389 installation scripts or spec file but this
patch suggests 389 is doing the same thing dogtag is. Is 389 hiding it's
init script in a perl generation step at installation?

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>

Looking to carve out IT costs?
www.redhat.com/carveoutcosts/