[389-devel] Upgrade procedures

Nathan Kinder nkinder at redhat.com
Tue Sep 1 21:52:07 UTC 2009

On 09/01/2009 02:23 PM, Rich Megginson wrote:
> I'm envisioning something like patch files in an RPM - things that can
> easily come and go depending on what needs to be done for a particular
> release.  In this case, instead of patch files, these would be short
> perl or shell scripts.  These would be invoked once or once per instance.
>
> One way would be to have a large script which would be edited for each
> release, adding or deleting code as needed.  This is the way it worked
> in the past - the file quickly becomes "unruly".  However, we would
> only have to touch Makefile.am once to add the upgrade script.
You mean like the migrate4to6, migrate5to6, etc. stuff?

> Another way would be to have small scripts that could come and go with
> each release.  The disadvantage is that we would be constantly
> adding/deleting items from Makefile.am.  This is what I would prefer.
I prefer the scriptlet approach too.

How do you envision dealing with upgrading from different versions?  For
example, we would need to do much different work upgrading from 1.1 ->
1.3 than we would from 1.2 -> 1.3.  Will there be some way for the
scriptlet to specify what versions it needs to be run for?