[Fedora-directory-users] Enabling SSL

George Holbert gholbert at broadcom.com
Wed Aug 3 20:10:55 UTC 2005

A follow up question:  why does pk12util need to be run against the
certificate db at all?  Doesn't RedHat/Fedora DS read certificate and
key information directly from the cert8.db and key3.db files?

In the RedHat SSL setup docs at:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/ag/7.1/ssl.html#1087158
... it says:

> Run pk12util to convert the certificate database to pkcs12 format, so
> it is accessbile by the Directory Server:

As Adam Stokes mentioned, the incantation for this should be:

>Again another typo the line should read
>
>pk12util -d . -P slapd-serverID- -o servercert.pk12 -n Server-Cert

But what does it buy you to have the "servercert.pk12" file sitting in
the alias directory with the cert and key db files?  How does this make
the certificate database "accessible by the Directory Server"?

In previous versions of Netscape DS, I don't recall the need for a pk12
file in the alias directory.  Is this a new requirement for version 7.1 ?

Thanks,
-- George