[Fedora-directory-users] OID conflict: ntGroupType vs. mailRoutingAddress

Mike Jackson mj at sci.fi
Fri Aug 19 19:42:24 UTC 2005

George Holbert wrote:
> I'm attempting to add a mail-routing draft schema
> (draft-lachman-laser-ldap-mail-routing-02.txt) to FDS.
> The schema can be found here (among other places):
> http://www.sendmail.org/m4/laser.txt
>
> In an unusual and unfortunate coincidence, the mailRoutingAddress OID
> defined by the schema is the same as the OID for 'ntGroupType', which is
> defined in FDS' 50ns-directory.ldif schema.
>
>  From 50ns-directory.ldif:
> ( 2.16.840.1.113730.3.1.47
>  NAME 'ntGroupType'
>  DESC 'Netscape defined attribute type'
>  SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.15
>  SINGLE-VALUE
>  X-ORIGIN 'Netscape NT Synchronization'
> )

The OID arc belongs to Netscape Directory server, and was submitted to
alvestrand on Feb 11 1999:

	http://www.alvestrand.no/objectid/2.16.840.1.113730.3.html

>  From draft-lachman-laser-ldap-mail-routing-02.txt:
> ( 2.16.840.1.113730.3.1.47
>
>  NAME 'mailRoutingAddress'
>  DESC 'RFC 822 address to use when routing messages to
>        the SMTP MTA of this recipient'
>  EQUALITY caseIgnoreIA5Match
>  SYNTAX '1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.26{256}'
>  SINGLE-VALUE
> )

  This expired draft was first written in May 1999 by H. Lachman at
Netscape:

http://mirrors.isc.org/pub/www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-lachman-laser-ldap-mail-routing-00.txt

  He was correct to use the Netscape ARC, and I don't see a more
appropriate section:

	http://www.alvestrand.no/objectid/2.16.840.1.113730.html

  I can't say which came first, the draft, or the Netscape Messaging
Server 4, which brought that schema, (as far as I can tell).

> The most obvious solution is to change the OID of one of these.  But
> which one should be changed, and to what?
> There's probably not really a single right answer, but if anyone else
> has happened to run into this, I'd be interested to hear how you
> resolved it.

I would say that the OID from the mail routing draft should be changed
and you should file an "ITS" (bug report) at the OpenLDAP site. The
conflicting OID is a company private OID, and is from an expired draft.

--
mike