[Fedora-directory-users] DNS backended in LDAP

Jeff Clowser jclowser at unitedmessaging.com
Fri Aug 26 15:44:20 UTC 2005

I'm looking at options for back-ending DNS data in LDAP/FDS.  Looking
for free/open source options, and what I've found so far are:

ldapdns
dns server integrated against ldap
http://www.nimh.org/code/ldapdns/ (version 2)
http://ldapdns.sourceforge.net/ (version 3)
Sounds good, but I'm not sure if it's under active development.

bind-sdb
bind plugin to use ldap for backend data
http://www.venaas.no/ldap/bind-sdb/
Conn's are that you still have to edit a text file to add new zones -
not ideal for a provider that may be adding zones a lot.

bind-dlz
another plugin for bind
http://bind-dlz.sourceforge.net
Seems pretty flexible, looks it will pick up new zones created in LDAP, etc.
Doesn't seem to be tied to any one schema, but their docs suggest a
custom schema/tree structure for storing DNS info.

So far, I'm thinking bind-dlz is the leading choice.

Was wondering if anyone has played much with these or other solutions,
if they have any opinions or experience to share, other solutions
they've found, etc.

 - Jeff