[Fedora-directory-users] Server Side Sorting limitations/configuration

David Boreham david_list at boreham.org
Thu Dec 1 15:36:32 UTC 2005

Thierry Lanfranchi wrote:

> Is that "not sorting on single letter search" feature wanted (maybe
> even RFC stuff that I haven't read yet), and if so, can I enable
> sorting even in that case, or is it to be considered a strange
> behavior and I need to look for more informations in order to solve it ?

Yes. One clue might be that a single letter substring search filter will
not be indexed (while a leading two-letter substring
search filter will). An unindexed search may not be sortable : it's been
a long time since I messed with this part of the
code and without reading it again I'm not sure. Anyway, if you made the
sort control mandatory in your search,
the server should respond with an error in the case that it's unable to
sort. Did you see any response control with
information like that in it ?