[Fedora-directory-users] Announcing Fedora Directory Server 1.0

Kevin M. Myer kevin_myer at iu13.org
Thu Dec 1 17:53:10 UTC 2005

Quoting Richard Megginson <rmeggins at redhat.com>:

> Yes, and that probably won't work in an upgrade installation
> situation.  For upgrade, it's best to backup your data and security
> db files, and do a completely new installation.  You should be able
> to save your data, database configuration, security configuration,
> replication configuration, etc., remove the old software, install the
> new software, and reapply your old data and config.
>
> There was a bug in the server - those files should be owned by
> "nobody" (or whatever your ns-slapd uid is).  We have not tested
> upgrade install - there may be some problems with the console or
> other admin server functions because the admin server is radically
> different.

Well, after spending a little time with it, I think a forced RPM
upgrade can still be made to work, without doing a complete backup,
uninstall, and new install.  There are a few caveats, namely that the
setup script (at least on my forced upgrade test server) failed to
properly configure the admin server, which meant none of the Apache
config files were generated.  But I installed a fresh install on my
workstation, and copied config files, made a few changes to them on my
test installation and am up and running.

Only issues I've seen so far are organizational charts throw an Apache
server error (undefined symbol: PL_sv_undef at
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/DynaLoader.pm line 229.),
and from the Java console, my Administration Domain has disappeared.
Haven't put a finger on that one yet.

And the speed boost going to Apache is amazing.  I believe I saw a post
in the dev archives about that (or maybe it was here) but seeing is
definitely believing :)

Kevin
--
Kevin M. Myer