[Fedora-directory-users] Calendar server

Jeff Clowser jclowser at unitedmessaging.com
Thu Dec 1 18:14:46 UTC 2005

I know this is somewhat off topic, though it has come up a couple times
since Red Hat bought the whole suite from Netscape...

http://www.sun.com/smi/Press/sunflash/2005-11/sunflash.20051130.1.html

Looks like Sun is open sourcing JES (which includes the mail and
calendar server as well as the directory server).  My hope is that
someone picks this up and adds caldav support to the calendar server,
spuring the caldav efforts on clients like Mozilla Sunbird, Evolution, etc.

Between FDS (which seems to be improving more steadily than Sun's DS),
the JES Calendar + caldav, and JES or other ldap aware mail server
software, I see potential for a real Exchange killer :)

 - Jeff