[Fedora-directory-users] Calendar server

Jeff Clowser jclowser at unitedmessaging.com
Thu Dec 1 18:38:11 UTC 2005

Mike Jackson wrote:

> I searched all over their site trying to find the source code, but no
> cigar. Binary downloads were downloadable for free.

I imagine this was just the announcement, and the release will come
sometime later.

> Between FDS (which seems to be improving more steadily than Sun's DS), ...
>
> When it comes to first impressions, the sun ds has fedora beat hands
> down. What I'm talking about is the very slick GUI installer. Of
> course, old pros will still want to use the silent install, which is
> found in sun and fedora ds, but for newbies, I think they will
> definitely choose the sun ds for it's installer. That is, unless we do
> something about it. Competition is _always_ a good thing. Look how
> many long requested features suddenly started popping up in OpenLDAP
> during the past year :-)

I've always used the command line installer for both (I'm generally not
sitting at or near the server I'm installing it on) so can't speak to
the gui, and I'm more worried about how it works after the install :)
The Sun DS replication in 5.2 seems a little more stable and easy to set
up than 5.1 and below (which is what FDS is based on), but the improved
Console via apache, as well as increased number of password encryption
schemes and just the fact that the community is working to improve/bug
fix FDS is really nice (Sun DS hasn't changed in quite a while).

 - Jeff