[Fedora-directory-users] JAVA_HOME problems after upgrade

Kevin M. Myer kevin_myer at iu13.org
Thu Dec 1 22:21:23 UTC 2005

Quoting Richard Megginson <rmeggins at redhat.com>:

> Sounds good.  Will this work on Fedora Core or other linux distros?

I'm not sure how portable it would be with other distros (it should
definitely work on FC), but here was what I was thinking:

Check /etc/java/java.conf and if it exists try using the values there.
Maybe tickle to see if /etc/{redhat,fedora}-release exists first.  I'd
vote for a "assume nothing but the known distributions/environments
where this works approach" (which is to say that if say a
/etc/java/java.conf file exists on a Solaris install, don't blindly
assume that the values in it are anywhere near or even related to what
exists in a Red Hat java.conf file).  For binary packages, this
probably means including a RPM dependency for jpackage-utils (which in
and of itself could still lead to problems, since you could have that
installed but have no JRE installed..).

The more ways there are to find where the JRE might be (which may
amount to figuring out what the clues are on each distro/OS), the lower
the bar to entry becomes and Things Just Work.

Kevin

--
Kevin M. Myer
Senior Systems Administrator