[Fedora-directory-users] a little bit of samba confusion

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Dec 4 05:28:13 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-12-03 at 14:38 -0700, Richard Megginson wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
>
> >First, imported nearly my entire openldap structure...but couldn't
> >import this record
> >
> >dn: sambaDomainName=AZAPPLE,dc=azapple,dc=com
> >objectClass: sambaDomain
> >sambaDomainName: AZAPPLE
> >sambaSID: S-1-5-21-1423820788-2381578139-3444021595
> >sambaAlgorithmicRidBase: 1000
> >
> >Easy enough to recreate in console but didn't understand the error...
> >[03/Dec/2005:11:24:28 -0700] - Entry
> >"sambaDomainName=AZAPPLE,dc=azapple,dc=com" -- attribute "objectClass"
> >not allowed
> >
> >when I added it to the console, it added top & organizationUnit
> >objectclasses...are these required?
> >

> I guess if you add the entry over LDAP, it automatically adds the
> missing superior objectclasses, but not with import.
----
It would appear so. I think the console is spoiling me - making me lazy.
On openldap, I would inspect the schema because I could easily locate
it.
----

> >Second, console application - when you go to the properties of a 'user',
> >there seems to be templates for 'user-languages-ntuser-posixuser-
> >account' but nothing for samba. Is there a samba template?
> >

> No, but we'll probably have one in an upcoming release.
----
This seems important to me but I am not the most knowledgeable about
these things. I would love to have a number of 'default values'
automatically inserted - perhaps that is just a matter of editing the
relevant html pages that govern these things (I called them templates -
perhaps that is an incorrect term).

But I would routinely set default values such as...

sambaProfilePath:     \\Server\Profiles\${USER}
sambaHomePath:        \\SERVER\HOMES\${USER}
sambaHomeDrive:       H
sambaLogonScript:     \\SERVER\netlogon\logon.bat
sambaDomain:          DOMAIN_NAME
sambaPrimaryGroupSID: S-1-5-21-XXXXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXXXX-513

perhaps this is beyond the present capabilities of the console
application and I would need to use a different client for purposes of
creating new user accounts.

Thanks

Craig