[Fedora-directory-users] Integration with Apple's OpenDirectory

Aly S.P Dharshi aly.dharshi at telus.net
Wed Dec 7 16:22:13 UTC 2005

Truthfully you can integrate Window to FDS using PGina there is a link on
the DS Wiki somewhere.

Here it the e-mail, it was geared towards OpenLDAP but I had it working on
Sun DS server, which is very similar if not the same as FDS 1.0

---- Start of Paste ----

Hi all,

Here is my OSX authentictaion to OpenLDAP HOWTO.

http://www.tcd.ie/People/Paul.Reilly/MacLDAP/

It assumes no knowledge of OpenLDAP but it does assume knowledge of Linux,
installing packages etc. I assume you have this as you are on the
OpenLDAP list... :)

NOTE 1:
Please note that I'm NO EXPERT on LDAP at all. If you asked me this time
last year how it worked, I wouldn't have known! The info contained in the
HOWTO is what I have discovered since last September when we decided to
deploy MacOSX in on 120 iMacs in college. Apple has very little
documentation on this (bad Apple!) and this info is pieced together from
various websites and trial and error experimentation.

NOTE 2:
Whats contained here is just a _basic_ authentication setup.
It doesn't cover the following topics, but these are possible
and we have them working here (docs in development)

 *  LDAP over SSL/TLS working OK
    (this should be the default in production environment)

 *  Auto-mounting of $HOME directories from a Windows/Linux
    smb:// or Mac afp:// file share  for each user
    (see HOWTOS at http://www.jamfsoftware.com)

 *  OpenLDAP passthrough Authentication to a window PDC
    (keep attributes in OpenLDAP, but use PDC for auth)

 *  Account Lockout/Expiry
    (for this see Apple's Open Directory mappings)

As you'll see my HOWTO is a work-in-progress.

If you find it useful to you, please consider sending me a postcard
from your part of the world.

Paul

---- End of Paste ----

--