[Fedora-directory-users] Integration with Apple's OpenDirectory

David Barker D.R.Barker at exeter.ac.uk
Wed Dec 7 17:11:34 UTC 2005

Billy Allan wrote:

>On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 08:51:51AM -0700, Aly S.P Dharshi wrote:
>

>>A while ago I tried hooking up a MacOS X client to an Sun DS (which isn't
>>to different from a FDS system) and it worked just fine, there was a
>>fellow in Ireland who had this as an FAQ, I would have to look for the
>>link but it seems that it would cut out the need for OpenDirectory
>>altogether.
>>

>Ok - thanks.  I'd like to have them talk to OD in order to get some of
>the extra's like limiting app/control-panel items, mobility etc without
>having to figure out how apple is storing it :-)

OD is basically openldap, so you might be able to manually setup users
(syncronise with a perl script from FD) and just have passwords refer to
the master through something like sasl (e.g.
http://www.openldap.org/faq/data/cache/944.html)

>If it comes down to it though I'd rather just point them at FD :-)

Unless you feel strongly about using OD, I'd go with FD too ;-)