[Fedora-directory-users] still working instructions through...

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Thu Dec 8 23:37:39 UTC 2005

Craig White wrote:

>FDS is running as nobody UID - I checked off in console to run with SSL
>eneabled, ignored warning about only root can run ports < 1024 restarted
>server - you know what happened next   ;-)

No, not really.  The admin server has the capability to start up slapd
as root so that it can listen to port 389 and 636.  slapd then does a
setuid to "nobody" after it has bound to these ports.

>OK so I have it turned off and server back up and running.
>
>1. Following instructions on wiki...
>   http://directory.fedora.redhat.com/wiki/Howto:SSL
>
>   # ./ldapsearch -b "dc=clsurvey,dc=com" -x -ZZ '(uid=jim)'
>   SSL initialization failed: error -8192 (An I/O error occurred
>   during security authorization.)

No, not exactly.  The instructions assume you are setting up the other
ldap clients on the linux box, almost all of which use openldap.  So, in
order to test, you must use the openldap ldapsearch from /usr/bin.

>2. My guess is that is because SSL isn't on. How do I deal with running
>   as UID nobody and SSL ?

You shouldn't have to worry about it, as long as you start up your slapd
in one of these 3 ways:
1) Using the sys4 init script during startup -
http://directory.fedora.redhat.com/wiki/Howto:SysVInit
2) As root from the command line by using
/opt/fedora-ds/slapd-host/start-slapd
3) Using the admin server via the console or admin express