[Fedora-directory-users] TLS for dummies

Pierangelo Masarati ando at sys-net.it
Fri Dec 9 21:20:20 UTC 2005

>>My thinking is that this somehow has something to do with the TLS_CACERT
>>in /etc/openldap/ldap.conf (the certificate for the client).
>>

> In general most folk don't need client certs, but AFAIK the openldap
> ldapsearch
> _requires_ that you present a client cert.

by default, yes.  That's what we call a "safe" default.  If you specify
"TLS_REQCERT never", as documented in ldap.conf(5), that does the trick.

>>Would this be the issue?
>>

> Probably yes. Shouldn't you be using a user-specific ldap.conf for your
> client-side config ?
>
>>Is there a better method for creating the client certificate from either
>>the CA certificate (generated by openssl) or from the FDS Server
>>Certificate (also generated by openssl)?
>>

> Provided the client cert was signed by the same CA as the server cert,
> you should be ok. The client cert has no relationship per se with the
> server cert.

If the client's CA is not the same as the server's CA, you need the server
to know about the CA's cert, and let it know it's trusted.  I don't know
the details for FDS, though.  Note that if the client is to verify the
srrver's CA, the same issue with reversed players arises.

p.

--
Pierangelo Masarati
mailto:pierangelo.masarati at sys-net.it