[Fedora-directory-users] mail aliases

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Dec 12 20:14:11 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-12-10 at 13:47 +0200, Mike Jackson wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> > What I used to do in openldap was use an objectclass
> > inetLocalMailRecipient which was defined in the 'misc.schema' and my
> > primary usage was to use an attribute inetLocalMailAddress to stuff
> > additional addresses as aliases because I struggled with multiple values
> > in the mail attribute.
>
> The mail attribute is not multi-valued.
>

> > Obviously I can import the openldap schema that I was using into FDS but
> > now I am thinking that it is probably a better idea to re-examine my
> > usage.
>
> Why?
>

> > To reduce my questions to basic...
> >
> > - is the mail attribute multi-valued?
>
> No.
>
> > - How do I determine which attributes are multi-valued?
>
> Attributes are multi-valued by default. If you want them to be
> single-valued, you must specify it in the schema:
>
> attributeTypes: (
>    1.3.6.1.4.1.300.1.8.1
>    NAME 'fooName'
>    DESC 'Foo Name'
>    SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.26
>    SINGLE-VALUE
>    )
>
> > - Is there an attribute better used for mail aliases?
>
> That depends on the usage. If you are setting up an MTA to do deliveries
> based on LDAP queries, then the MTA might use multiple attributes.
>
> Qmail-LDAP reads "mail" first, and then "mailAlternateAddress" (which is
> multi-valued) second. So, with Qmail-LDAP, a user's main address is
> assigned to mail and all subsequent addresses are assigned to
> mailAlternateAddress.
>
> See the following schema for examples:
>
> http://www.bayour.com/openldap/schemas/qmail.schema
----
OK - I don't use Qmail and it does require loading an alternate schema
which means that I am no better off than just keep doing the things that
I've been doing which is the use the 'misc' schema from openldap.

I am capable of entering multiple values into 'mail' attribute but have
had some issues with delivery when I used them which is when I went the
alternative attribute for mail aliases.

Thanks

Craig