[Fedora-directory-users] mail aliases

Pierangelo Masarati ando at sys-net.it
Mon Dec 12 21:32:21 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-12-12 at 15:34 -0500, Kevin M. Myer wrote:
> Craig,
>
> I've been using:
>
> objectClasses: ( 1.3.6.1.4.1.10147.1 NAME 'inetLocalMailRecipient' SUP inetorg
> person STRUCTURAL MAY ( mailAlternateAddress $ mailHost $ mailRoutingAddress
>   ) X-ORIGIN 'user defined' )
>
> The attributes already exist with FDS, but I used that objectclass
> because of some legacy configs that had it (for reasons I forget -
> maybe because it was what OpenLDAP used at the time, but my Netscape
> Directory server had the other attributes for NS Messaging services).
> Works fine for me - aliases go in mailAlternateAddress, final
> destination mailbox is mailRoutingAddress.  The mail attribute is
> what's displayed publicly for address book type lookups.  Postfix
> checks mailAlternateAddress, if it finds a match, it relays the message
> to the account at mailRoutingAddress.

That definitely sounds like a personalization of <draft-lachman-laser-
ldap-mail-routing>, which expired in 2001 and was initially implemented
in sendmail and later replaced by more sophisticated inhouse schemas,
while other MTAs directly took their own direction.  Only, that draft
uses mailLocalAddress instead of mailAlternateAddress (which definitely
sounds like a Netscape dfined attribute), and it's AUXILIARY rather than
derived from inetOrgPerson.

p.

Ing. Pierangelo Masarati
Responsabile Open Solution