[Fedora-directory-users] init script failure and ulimit

Del del at babel.com.au
Wed Dec 14 01:45:56 UTC 2005

>> ulimit -n 8192
>

> On top of that, you also have to put the same ulimit line in any scripts
> which call ns-slapd (bak2db, db2bak, bak2ldif, ldif2bak, etc). This
> "feature" caused me major problems several weeks ago when those scripts
> failed and left some files with wrong permissions, thus causing nearly
> impossible to debug write deadlocks.
>
> I really hope that this is redesigned in an upcoming release.

The ideal thing is if you extend the ulimit in /etc/security/limits.conf,
put the ulimit command in /etc/profile.  Then you don't need to fix any
scripts.

Some of the system startup scripts won't like it and complain because
they aren't all run as root, and don't all read /etc/profile, and some
happen before the extension in limits.conf, but generally you'll be
happier.

--
Del