[Fedora-directory-users] ShadowPassword / ShadowExpire

Jim Summers jsummers at bachman.cs.ou.edu
Mon Dec 19 15:49:39 UTC 2005

Jeff Medcalf wrote:
> Jim,
>
> I haven't tried this on FDS, but given that it has the same base as
> SunONE and the old iPlanet, I would assume it works the same as those
> directory servers.  In that case, and assuming that you are using
> pam_ldap, go ahead and use the password policy: pam_ldap knows about  it
> and works correctly with it.

I am a little confused on what is actually being used.  I see the
following entries in machines here:
Dec 19 09:34:22 XXXXXX sshd[14463]: PAM rejected by account
configuration[13]: User account has expired
Dec 19 09:36:21 XXXXXX sshd[14515]: nss_ldap: reconnecting to LDAP server...
Dec 19 09:36:21 XXXXXX sshd[14515]: nss_ldap: reconnected to LDAP server
after 1 attempt(s)

So I am not sure as to whether pam_ldap or nss_ldap is in use.  I guess
they could be one in the same?

and system-auth has:
======================================
auth        required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_env.so
auth        sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so likeauth nullok
auth        sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_ldap.so use_first_pass
auth        required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_deny.so

So I would think it is pam_ldap.

I am going to double-check the pam config to make sure it is still
following recommendations.

> Oh, and if you are using the pam_ldap that comes with Solaris, you
> might try switching to the open source version: the Sun version is
> terribly buggy and horrible.

Will do.  The majority are linux clients.