[Fedora-directory-users] Re: setup fails, cannot start server (slapd)

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Wed Dec 21 17:58:22 UTC 2005

Strange.  That means setup is failing pretty early in the post install
process.  I assume you are installing from RPM.  Take a look at the
setup log file.  If you break setup, it should be in /tmp/logXXXXX where
XXXXX are some random chars.

If that still shows nothing, then I'm not really sure what else to do,
except debug postinstall.  If you take a look at line 509 in the
/opt/fedora-ds/setup/setup shell script, that's the command that runs
the ns-update shell script.  You can probably do a set -xv in that shell
script.  That shell script in turn runs ds_create which creates and
starts the initial directory server instance.  You will need to edit
ns-update to run ds_create under strace, or possibly even gdb.