[Fedora-directory-users] Re: setup fails, cannot start server (slapd)

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Thu Dec 22 15:04:10 UTC 2005

Ulli Horlacher wrote:

>On Wed 2005-12-21 (10:58), Richard Megginson wrote:
>

>>Strange.  That means setup is failing pretty early in the post install
>>process.
>>

>If I understand you correctly, start-setup and start-slapd are scripts
>which will be generated by startup/startup?

Yes.

>>I assume you are installing from RPM.
>>

>Yes, I have installed
>dsbuild/ds/ldapserver/work/fedora-ds-1.0.1-1.Linux.i586.opt.rpm
>which was generated by my dsbuild-run.
>BTW: do I need
>dsbuild/ds/setuputil/work/12.19/fedora-setuputil-devel-1.0-1.Linux2.6.i586.opt.rpm
>too? I have not installed it yet.

No.   You need only fedora-ds-1.0.1-1.Linux.i586.opt.rpm

>>Take a look at the setup log file.  If you break setup, it should be in
>>/tmp/logXXXXX where XXXXX are some random chars.
>>

>Yes, I saw them already. I am afraid it contains no usefull info:
>
>(skipping license text)
>Do you accept the license terms? (yes/no) y
>                       Fedora Directory Server 1.0
>
>The Fedora Directory Server is subject to the terms detailed in the
>license agreement file called LICENSE.txt.
>
>Late-breaking news and information on the Fedora Directory Server is
>available at the following location:
>
>    http://directory.fedora.redhat.com
>Continue? (yes/no) y
>Fedora Directory Server system tuning analysis version 04-APRIL-2005.
>
>NOTICE : System is i686-unknown-linux2.6.5-7.201-smp (2 processors).
>
>ERROR: We support kernel version 2.4.7 and higher.
>
>NOTICE : The net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_time is set to 7200000 milliseconds
>(120 minutes).  This may cause temporary server congestion from lost
>client connections.
>
>ERROR  : The above errors MUST be corrected before proceeding.
>
>Continue? (yes/no) y
>Please select 1, 2, or 3 (default: 2)
>getFQDN: hostname = lanldap2
>getFQDN: host lanldap2 = lanldap2.rus.uni-stuttgart.de
>getFQDN: host lanldap2 has length 9
>getFQDN: new max host lanldap2 has length 9
>getFQDN: host lanldap2.rus.uni-stuttgart.de has length 30
>getFQDN: new max host lanldap2.rus.uni-stuttgart.de has length 30
>getFQDN: host lanldap2.rus.uni-stuttgart.de has length 30
>getFQDN: host lanldap2 has length 9
>
>Hostname to use (default: lanldap2.rus.uni-stuttgart.de)
>Server user ID to use (default: nobody)
>Server group ID to use (default: nobody)

It should have asked you many more questions here - about other aspects
of server configuration.  If it didn't, then something is really wrong -
it's skipping all of the configuration steps, which would cause many
problems.  Are you starting from scratch when you attempt to run setup
again?  That is, do you
rpm -e fedora-ds
then
rm -rf /opt/fedora-ds
?  Or are you just doing rpm -U fedora-ds-1.0.1 ..., then running setup
again?  That would cause setup to think you are trying to reconfigure or
upgrade an existing instance rather than trying to setup your initial
instance.

But that wouldn't explain why it failed the very first time, when
/opt/fedora-ds did not exist.