[Fedora-directory-users] Re: setup fails, cannot start server (slapd)

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Thu Dec 22 17:48:17 UTC 2005

Ulli Horlacher wrote:

>On Thu 2005-12-22 (08:04), Richard Megginson wrote:
>

>>>If I understand you correctly, start-setup and start-slapd are scripts
>>>which will be generated by startup/startup?
>>>

>>Yes.
>>

>Nice to know that I have understood at least SOMETHING :-)

Yes.  It's not intuitive if you are familiar setting up OpenLDAP and
other FOSS server software.

>>>Continue? (yes/no) y
>>>Please select 1, 2, or 3 (default: 2)
>>>getFQDN: hostname = lanldap2
>>>getFQDN: host lanldap2 = lanldap2.rus.uni-stuttgart.de
>>>getFQDN: host lanldap2 has length 9
>>>getFQDN: new max host lanldap2 has length 9
>>>getFQDN: host lanldap2.rus.uni-stuttgart.de has length 30
>>>getFQDN: new max host lanldap2.rus.uni-stuttgart.de has length 30
>>>getFQDN: host lanldap2.rus.uni-stuttgart.de has length 30
>>>getFQDN: host lanldap2 has length 9
>>>
>>>Hostname to use (default: lanldap2.rus.uni-stuttgart.de)
>>>Server user ID to use (default: nobody)
>>>Server group ID to use (default: nobody)
>>>

>>It should have asked you many more questions here - about other aspects
>>of server configuration.
>>

>Yes I was asked many more questions:
>
>Fedora configuration directory server? [No]:
>Do you want to use another directory to store your data? [No]:
>Directory server network port [389]:
>Directory server identifier [lanldap2]:
>administrator ID [admin]:
>Suffix [dc=rus, dc=uni-stuttgart, dc=de]:
>Directory Manager DN [cn=Directory Manager]:
>Administration Domain [rus.uni-stuttgart.de]:
>Administration port [47328]:
>Run Administration Server as [root]:
>Apache Directory [/usr/sbin/]:
>
>I confirmed all defaults (besides the password, of course) and then I got:
>
>[slapd-lanldap2]: starting up server ...
>[slapd-lanldap2]: Attempting to obtain server status . . .
>[slapd-lanldap2]: Attempting to obtain server status . . .
>[slapd-lanldap2]: Attempting to obtain server status . . .
>[slapd-lanldap2]: Attempting to obtain server status . . .
>

>These other questions from above are not found in the log-file.

Ok.  I just wanted to make sure that was not a problem.

>>problems.  Are you starting from scratch when you attempt to run setup
>>again?  That is, do you
>>rpm -e fedora-ds
>>then
>>rm -rf /opt/fedora-ds
>>?
>>

>Yes.
>

>I could now have a closer look (sh -x) at the setup-script, but I will use
>another approach: I have now installed fedora core 4 in vmware.
>I will later go back debugging FDS on SLES 9.
>My boss wants a running LDAP server NOW :-}

Sorry about that.  It's just that we've never tried to build or run it
on SLES.  I'm afraid you are the first person to step up and actually
try it.