[Fedora-directory-users] Advantages of using FDS vs OpenLDAP?

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Fri Jul 8 16:22:46 UTC 2005

Kevin Myer wrote:

> If I can piggyback off of this question and ask another: advantages of
> using
> RedHat Directory Server vs. Fedora Directory Server?
>
> The only thing I can see we get with RedHat Directory server is
> official support
> (and at the prices I was quoted per year, for two servers, I could
> hire half a
> person, although academic pricing wasn't available at the time :)

Sure.  I was told by the Marketing director that there would be academic
pricing for RHDS.  For what it's worth, Red Hat marketing has decided to
target the whales first - large enterprises and govt. organizations with
deep pockets that would find our pricing much more attractive than our
competitors in that space.

> The situation I'm in is one where I have an aging directory
> infrastructure,
> going all the way back to the days when the Directory Server was
> branded with
> the Netscape brand :)  Its been on my TODO list to upgrade to
> something, for
> the past two years, but I never got around to migrating to OpenLDAP,
> for a
> number of reasons.  With the release of RedHat/Fedora Directory
> Server, it was
> a matter of installing it, adding a few schema modifications,
> exporting data
> from the old server, and importing into the new.  Simple as pie.  I've
> been
> running with that in a test environment for a month, no problems.  And
> I'm
> ready to plan out a full scale conversion and setup multimaster
> replication.
>
> So am I missing anything obvious, beside official support, for what I
> would pay
> for Red Hat Directory Server?

Official support, upgrades, patches.  Easily installable/upgradeable
binaries rather than build from source code.  If there is a patch for
FDS, it is unlikely that the patch will be made readily available as a
binary (although we will try).