[Fedora-directory-users] Advantages of using FDS vs OpenLDAP?

David Boreham david_list at boreham.org
Sun Jul 10 13:39:48 UTC 2005

> So, how about implementing automatic promotion of slaves to master
> status, so that single-master environments can be made highly
> available? This is a generic problem, and applies to both FDS and OL.
> Do you think it's a good idea or not?

I say bad idea. Implementing a promotion mechanism that can be relied upon
turns out to be hard, possibly as hard or harder than MMR. And you
end up with all the consistency issues of MMR anyway. Best to bite
the bullet and implement MMR. Thankfully this was done many years
ago and we can reap the rewards today.

If the goal is to acheive tight consistency then simply do not use
a Directory Service : use a RDBMS or some other thing that
is designed to deliver it.