[Fedora-directory-users] LDAP aliases

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Mon Jul 11 20:38:59 UTC 2005

George Holbert wrote:

> I've noticed that FDS and other Netscape-derived directory servers
> (like Sun's) do not have support for LDAP aliases.
>
> At one point there was an IETF draft for LDAP aliases which can still
> be found here:
> http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-byrne-ldap-alias-00.txt
>
> Based on documentation snippets I've run across, it looks like some
> LDAP servers (IBM, Novell) still support the alias schema suggested in
> the draft.

I think the latest version of Sun DS (5.2 sp 3) may support aliases.

> I'm wondering why the alias schema is not included in FDS?  My guess
> is that LDAP aliases turned out to be a bad idea for various reasons,
> but I'm not exactly sure what these reasons are.

I don't remember exactly why Netscape never supported aliases.  There
are a couple of different ways to do something similar.  You can use
"smart referrals" to make the client follow the chain instead of the
server.  Class of Service can be used to generate attributes and values
based on references to other entries.

If there is enough interest, we could investigate adding support to FDS.