[Fedora-directory-users] Database recreation, automount and performance

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Wed Jul 13 19:51:28 UTC 2005

Vsevolod (Simon) Ilyushchenko wrote:

> Rich,
>
> Thanks for the quick answer! Perhaps this information should go into
> the FAQ - what do you think?
>
> Rich Megginson wrote on 07/13/2005 12:47 PM:
>
>> The IETF LDAP community has decided to deprecated them in favor of
>> the new netgroups stuff.
>

> OK, I'll reconfigure my entries. Does Fedora automounter understand
> the netgroups structure?

I'm trying to find out some information about this.

>> We don't yet have a way to set an ACI to allow users other than the
>> Directory Manager (i.e. cn=Directory Manager, not the admin console
>> user) to create the entry for a root suffix.  In the console, you can
>> Log In As New User, and specify cn=directory manager (or whatever you
>> used for your directory manager user when you performed the initial
>> installation).
>

> This is very non-trivial. :) Creating the root suffix now works, but I
> tried creating top-level entries one by one, as well as creating a new
> server in the administration console, and it all failed. I had to
> delete the RPM and reinstall it.

What problems did you have?  I'm not sure what you did, or what you
could have done to necessitate a reinstall.

> By the way, I found out that if I install the RPM a second time, the
> admin console tries to connect to port 15918, but the admin server is
> running on port 25394. I don't remember what port was used the first
> time. :(

After uninstall, remove your ~/.mcc directory, or edit the file in there
after installation.  The URL box in the login screen should have had a
drop down list to let you select another one.

> This time I successfully created an SSL-enabled directory and was able
> to authenticate to it. I followed the steps here:
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/ag/7.1/ssl.html#1087158
> to create a self-signed certificate.
>
> For archives - the docs don't tell you that after running pk12util in
> step 9 you first have to enter the password 'secretpwd' that you've
> saved in the file pwdfile.txt, and then you have to create a different
> startup password.

You can't use the same password?