[Fedora-directory-users] What implementation of Kerberos prefered?

Luke Howard lukeh at padl.com
Sun Jul 17 12:24:13 UTC 2005

>There is a "ldap backend" for Heimdal, but it uses the non-standard ldapi interface (e.g. LDAP through a unix domain file based socket rather than a
>TCP/IP socket).  You would have to port that code to use an ldap or ldaps interface for use with FDS.

That's not hard to change, but I would prefer to see someone add ldapi://
to FDS :-)

>Otherwise, I'm not sure if GSSAPI supports a password change mechanism.  If so, you could do this through FDS.

GSS-API does not deal with acquiring initial credentials or changing
passwords. In order to maintain password synchronization, you need to
ensure that the set of Kerberos keys and directory user passwords is
kept synchronized.

In our XAD identity server, we have a SLAPI plugin that intercepts
LDAP password change requests (either RFC 3062, NMAS, or LDAP updates
of the userPassword/unicodePwd attributes) and generates a user's key
set for Kerberos, Digest, etc. I believe Symas wrote a similar plugin
that works with the Heimdal LDAP backend but I'm not sure whether it
is generally available.

-- Luke