[Fedora-directory-users] Hello!

Mike Jackson mj at sci.fi
Thu Jun 2 18:11:14 UTC 2005

Christopher Blizzard wrote:
> Shawn Kennedy wrote:
>
>> OK, as what appears as the first person posting to this
>> list, I'm *very* interested in the multimaster support
>> since support for such a thing in OpenLDAP is extremely experimental.
>> I'm also looking for information on how
>> to configure and manage this software via a command line
>> or config file. The GUI that is supplied is not what
>> I need.

The directory server is nearly 100% manageable via the command line, and
most of it can be done remotely with Perl's excellent Net::LDAP module.
The reason for this is that nearly all parameters can be changed via the
LDAP protocol, without requiring a server restart. And those parameters
which do require a server restart can also be queried over-the-wire :-)
Finally, you can even restart the server over-the-wire. Most of these
things are not documented in a straightforward manner, but they are
indeed possible. It seems that the  Netscape DS project really wanted
people to use the admin GUI for performing most of the administration
and they did not document otherwise in many cases.

I have a lot of experience with these type of things. I am in starting
deployment of a few thousand Netscape DS servers around the world (now
RHDS/FDS), and I have long had these type of requirements where
everything must be automated and done via command line.

BR,
--
Mike

LDAP Directory Consulting - http://www.netauth.com