[Fedora-directory-users] How about support on Windows ?

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Fri Jun 3 23:09:11 UTC 2005

Bacchu, Anjan wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>    I know that as of now, it is supported on Linux and Solaris, but I'm
>wondering what it takes to
>deploy it on Windows NT(2000, xp, 2003, ETC).
>
>    Since redhat supports cygwin AND originally NDS worked on Windows, it
>should NOT be too
>difficult. What would be more useful would be a native port of NDS on
>Windows (minGNU comes to mind)
>what with APR(http://apr.apache.org/) available.

How would APR help?  We already use NSPR as our OS abstraction layer
(which is what Firefox et. al. uses).

>	Are there any efforts to
>a) come out with a binary for windows

We haven't planned to do one.  We would probably consider it if there is
enough demand.

>b) help anyone who's already working on a windows port.

The server has already been ported to Windows.  What this entails is the
native Windows environment (not cygwin or mingw) with gmake.exe, MKS
shell tools (sh, sed, grep, awk, etc.) and the native Windows compilers
(cl.exe, link.exe, etc.).  The Windows compilers are available for free
for the command line versions only from Microsoft AFAIK - but no
debugger or MSVC++.

It would be great to be able to use cygwin and/or mingw.  We would
certainly appreciate help with this.

>c) atleast provide a source level build.
>
>LDAP is seriously needed (and missing) on enterprise infrastructures and
>support for Windows(as
>Firefox showed) will take a product much further than without windows.

Really?  Up until DS 7.0, we supported the DS on Windows for several
years.  We found that most people with Windows deployments either used
Active Directory (since they already paid for it), or they were using
Samba on unix/linux.  Almost everyone who was downloading and using the
DS on Windows were just doing it for demonstration and/or evaluation
purposes (including the press), because they just wanted to run it on
their x86 desktop or laptop, and in those days that necessarily meant
Windows.  But with the growth of Linux, I can happily run DS 7.1on my
RHEL3 desktop or my RHEL4 laptop.  Most people planning serious
deployments eventually used Unix for the production LDAP server, and now
many are using Linux.