[Fedora-directory-users] Automatically incrementing uidNumber

Mike Jackson mj at sci.fi
Tue Jun 7 21:46:23 UTC 2005

Jeff Falgout wrote:
> Greetings -
>
> I've been moving right along with the new release of fedora-ds on rhel4
> using the downloaded 7.1 rpm. I hoping that I just missed this, but is
> there a way to automatically increment the uidNumber for posix accounts -
> so when a new posix user gets created, the next uidNumber get's assigned
> to the new user? I accomplished this with phpLdapAdmin and openldap -
> phpLdapAdmin had function that would search for the highest uidNumber and
> increment it by 1 and populate the uidNumber attribute. If this doesn't
> exist yet, is there any chance of making that a feature request - either
> that or a uidNumber pool which keeps track of the last uidNumber used.

Until this is supported in the console, you can use a command line tool
I wrote:

http://netauth.com/~jacksonm/code/newuser.pl.txt

It supports uid uniqueness checking and specified or auto-incrementing
uidnumber, as well as specified or auto-incrementing gidnumber.

It even hashes the user's password before sending it over-the-wire, but
it doesn't encrypt the bind password. If you have SSL turned on on your
LDAP server, you could just use stunnel or you could modify that script
to use SSL. It's pretty simple, just change this:

my $ldap    = Net::LDAP->new($SERVER)

to this:

my $ldap    = Net::LDAPS->new($SERVER)

BR,