[Fedora-directory-users] x64 Compiled Version

David Boreham david_list at boreham.org
Fri Jun 10 03:52:31 UTC 2005

Evan Montgomery-Recht wrote:

>Are there any plans to provide an x64 compiled version with admin
>server and console?  Simular to the solaris and binary version?

I don't think there are any plans to have this available in the
_immediate_ future,
but it's certainly on the to-do list. Exactly how much of the admin
server and
console stuff will/needs to be 64-bit is I think still unclear: the
existing Solaris
and HP-UX 64-bit builds use 32-bit versions of those things, for example.

>At this point it probably doesn't matter that much unless the code
>allows for x64 memory usage.  But it'd be nice.

Someone sufficiently motivated and makefile-aware could build
an x64 version of the core DS today : the code is known to be
all 64-bit clean. You could in theory plonk such a thing down
into a 32-bit install'ed server with its admin server and console
and it'd work. The on-disk format for the database files may
be different between 32-bit and 64-bit, so it'd be a good idea
to export to ldif and re-import after performing the 64-bit transplant.

But simply waiting a while for an 'official' 64-bit release might be
a more relaxing option ;)