[Fedora-directory-users] Ideas for fds

jclowser at unitedmessaging.com jclowser at unitedmessaging.com
Fri Jun 10 14:53:13 UTC 2005

> I think that you've (re)-invented 'filtered roles'.
>
> They've been supported in the server since 1999 or so.
>
> Your second point above I believe is covered by nested roles.
>
> Roles (deliberately) don't use the same schema as static groups,
> so the same problem you mentioned that apps don't support them
> applies still. They use the 'nsRole' attribute.

Yeah - but my point was that I want something that _does_ work with
existing apps that know nothing about the Netscape/Sun extensions like
nsRoles and memberURL - i.e. that could look up a "standard"
groupofuniquenames groups and see things in the uniquemember attribute,
without having to look at something else (i.e. nsRole).  That has always
been the problem with using these extensions.  So what I am asking for
_is_ different than the filtered roles, I think.  :)

 - Jeff