[Fedora-directory-users] Ideas for fds

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Fri Jun 10 23:44:33 UTC 2005

jclowser at unitedmessaging.com wrote:

> Netscape roles are great, but the reason I don't prefer them (and
> dynamic groups) is that it is very implementation specific - i.e.
> netscape/sun/fedora directory server (I'm considering them all more or
> less the same) is the only server that implements it.  If I depend on
> it, I'm tied to a particular implementation of ldap server, and can't
> go to openldap, active directory, joes directory, etc (not that I'd
> want to - esp ad, but for the sake of the whole standards argument,
> it's important to consider and I'd want that option).
> If I have a dynamic group that returns members in uniquemember, I
> could always switch, without changing my apps, with the caveat that
> the groups may have to be managed statically.  I suppose you could say
> the same about nsroles, but that further assumes an app allows you to
> define the search filter.  I actually used a static method very
> similar to nsroles before nsroles existed (i.e. create an entry in
> ldap, then create an attribute in the users entry that contains the DN
> of that entry, and use that to determine what roles a user is part of,
> solely by looking at the users entry.  Nice 'cause you could config
> referential integrity to clean it up and all if you delete the role,
> too).  But I ran into the same problem - only the apps I wrote knew
> how to use it (but at least it worked in any ldap server :) ).  At
> least it didn't have the resource limit issues that groupofurls has.
>
> Anyway,  the issue of large groups does exist for me, so it is a
> concern - A customer of 100k-1 million or more is not out of the
> question.  It would have to be used with care.   But, in the case of
> smaller deployments, or even smaller or "select" groups, it would be
> useful to have this for cases where I can't make apps use the Netscape
> extensions.  In a lot of cases, the _app_ doesn't need to deal with a
> large list of returned values - i.e. if I do a search for
> (&(cn=MyGroupName)(objectclass=groupofuniquenames)(uniquemember=<someUserDN>)),
> returning say,  only the cn attribute or discarding everything but a
> found/not found result to see solely if I'm a member, I would want it
> to work.  Some apps use this to determine group membership, and can't
> be changed...  This is actually the more likely scenario than wanting
> to use/display the entire list.
>
> Haven't really thought this through, but would it be possible to use a
> combination of roles and cos to create a group the way I am
> suggesting?  I would think even if possible, it would be complicated
> and probably pretty inefficient, but is an option.  If I remember
> correctly, you can't search on dynamic attributes generated by Cos,
> though (actually, I think in the most recent version of the Sun DS,
> you could search on them, but they are treated as unindexed
> searches)...  This would likely factory into the members dynamically
> returned as uniquemember idea as well, so one more inefficiency in
> implementing my idea :-D

In Fedora DS these attributes are "indexed" so you can search on them
very quickly (e.g. ldapsearch .... (nsrole=ROLEDN)).

But, point taken.  Roles work great, but they don't conform to the
standard group schema.  We could use our roles/cos technology to
implement a very efficient static group.  One problem remains though -
how to solve the problem of retrieving a large static group?