[Fedora-directory-users] features

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Mon Jun 20 16:28:48 UTC 2005

Dinil Divakaran wrote:

> Thanks for the help guys !
>
> So, does this mean that Fedora DS includes every feature in
> Netscape DS and Redhat DS ?

Yes.  Red Hat bought Netscape DS and renamed it Red Hat DS.  They also
released the source code and created the open source Fedora DS project.
So, for now, Netscape DS == Red Hat DS == Fedora DS.  See
http://directory.fedora.redhat.com/wiki/FAQ#How_is_Fedora_Directory_Server_different_from_iPlanet_and_Sun_Directory_Server.3F

> I couldn't still find whether Fedora DS supports these features
> too:
>
> * automatic, on-line directory replication

I'm not sure what you mean by this.  Could you explain this more?

> * Java and C/C++ SDK

Yes.  The Mozilla LDAP C and Java SDKs are included with the binary
distribution, as well as PerLDAP.

> * horizontal and vertical scalability

Scalability: thousands of operations per second, tens of thousands of
concurrent users, tens of millions of entries, hundreds of gigabytes of
data

> I was actually comparing the features with SUN's DS. It has
> most of the features that I require; but if everything that SUN
> supports is found in Fedora DS, then why waste money :) !

The features of Fedora DS are very, very similar to Sun DS, because up
until late 2001 they had the same code base.