[Fedora-directory-users] features

Mike Jackson mj at sci.fi
Mon Jun 20 18:00:21 UTC 2005

David Boreham wrote:

> Actually OpenLDAP began with the old UMich code, which was
> also the basis for the Netscape server codeine. The two share a single
> common ancestor.

Well, yes :-) But what I meant was that back there in 1999, the Netscape
DS package was already far more advanced than the UM snapshot that the
OpenLDAP project started with, and they still haven't quite caught up in
my opinion. They didn't even support LDAPv3 until 2002, iirc.

> Because of the common heritage, the back end plugin interface
> is similar (but certainly not identical) to that of OpenLDAP.
> So it might be not too hard to port a backend written for
> OpenLDAP's server to FDS.

Oh god, not the back-sql! I just know that somebody's itching to do it.

Actually, I remember about 3 years ago on the OL list, somebody from HP
contributed code for OL to support the Netscape plugin API.

--
Mike