[Fedora-directory-users] Configuration Directory

Jeff Clowser jclowser at unitedmessaging.com
Tue Jun 21 19:21:04 UTC 2005

George Holbert wrote:

> The installer for Fedora DS asks about which directory server should
> be the "Configuration Directory Server."  My understanding is that
> this configuration directory server stores information about the
> Fedora/Netscape console (e.g., which servers show up in the console
> screen, etc.)
>
> Is this the only special role played by the Configuration Directory
> Server, or does it also store other configuration (for example, is it
> also a central repository for a common cn=config)?
>
> My hunch is it's only about the console, but just wanted to confirm this.

I believe this is solely to hold config info for the admin
server/console.  In the past, this also held config info for stuff like
the Netscape Messaging server, etc.

However, (I'm pretty sure) you can use the directory server without the
admin server/o=netscaperoot tree, etc.  It's just easier to administer
with the console that creating everything via command line, and you need
it for that.

 - Jeff