[Fedora-directory-users] Virtual DIT views vs hierarchicalDIT

Pete Rowley pete at openrowley.com
Fri Jun 24 20:40:18 UTC 2005

It certainly isn't simple problem and many cases need to be factored in.
Though much of this can be simplified by observing or predicting what
clients really do as opposed to what they might do.  Taking your example, it
is possible that an application might be fooled if it first creates an entry
in a view and then immediately uses the (view based) dn to populate
attributes in other entries.  Probably the more typical case is to retrieve
an existing entry from a view and then use the dn of that to populate the
attributes of other entries, which should just work (assuming we have the
currently absent create support).

It _should_ be relatively simple for the server to translate back and forth
between DN's (the translation is always one way, from view based to target),
so it would be possible even to correct for attribute values, but I have my
doubts about performance for such things - certainly for returned search
results anyway.  So, having said this, I am not convinced it is a good thing
to try either.

On the real dit versus view based: if a view based dit works and acts
exactly the same way (assuming no issues) as a real dit, does it really
matter whether the admin client knows about it?  After all, the "real" dit
isn't real either, it's really a "view" of what we store in the db.