[Fedora-directory-users] question about schema file keywords

Mike Jackson mj at sci.fi
Mon Nov 7 12:07:54 UTC 2005

speedy zinc wrote:

> But I still can't figure out the differences between
> a STRUCTURAL and an AUXILIARY objectclass. Besdies the
> definition, they look similar to me.

It's part of the X.500 data model.

Every directory object can and must have only one structural object
class, and the other classes on that object have to be auxiliary. You
can only instantiate new objects with structural classes.

Example of an object:

structural class "car"
auxiliary class  "europeanCar"
auxiliary class  "raceCar"

europeanCar and raceCar are specializations (subclasses) of car.

Finally, FDS/RHDS do not enforce so-called "structural integrity". They
will allow you to e.g. create an entry which contains multiple
structural classes. OpenLDAP versions 2.1 and later prohibit this and
there is no way to disable it, even if you try. A server should give the
administrator the possibility of disabling structural integrity checking
if desired...

I recommend following the rules, even if FDS doesn't enforce them.

--
mike