[Fedora-directory-users] How can I create a User ID alias?

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Mon Nov 7 17:47:25 UTC 2005

Darren Fulton wrote:

>I have an in production application at our office (Web Calendar) that I
>am migrating to LDAP authentication using FDS from application internal
>authentication.
>
>Some of the users in the old program have user id's of $firstname and
>they don't work because everyone in the ldap server was setup as
>$firstinitial$lasthname.
>
>I have not been sucessful at changing the User ID's in the application
>from $firstname to $firstinitial$lastname.
>
>Question:  Is there a way that I can make aliases in FDS such that User
>ID james equals User ID jjones?  If so, how can I do it?

FDS does not support LDAP aliases.  However, you can have a single entry
with two different uid attributes - uid is a multi-valued attribute.
This will allow you to do an LDAP search for uid=james or uid=jjones and
get the same entry.  If you want to use uid as the naming attribute for
the DN, you will just have to pick one of the values.